- A portfolio manager is a professional whose only business is to manage portfolios and advise individual clients.
- Clients of a portfolio manager include individuals, companies, trusts and estates, foundations and retirement funds.
- A portfolio manager offers continuous ongoing management of a client’s investment portfolio.
- Such people are professionally trained to select securities for the portfolio which are appropriate for the client’s circumstances and requirements.
- At the beginning of the client-manager relationship, an investment policy statement is established based on an understanding of the client’s overall financial position, tax status and risk tolerance, leading to investment objectives for the portfolio.
From: Portfolio Management Association of Canada